For obvious health and safety reasons the Local Authority require that a Road Closure is put in place for the duration of the Carnival Procession.
To accommodate this requirement the Carnival Committee have developed a detailed Road Closure plan which includes various temporary road closures and alternative diversion routes.
The objective of the plan is to ensure the safety of all involved while minimising the disruption to road users.
The plan for 2019 has been approved by Dorset CC and will follow exactly the same format as in previous years which is as follows:
Phase one, 12:45 pm
A full road closure will be instigated from:
- Springdale Road from the junction with Highfield Road to the Wareham Road roundabout,
- Wareham Road from the Springdale Road junction to Henbury View Road.
There will be no access onto these sections of the highway from any of the side-roads during the closure.
The closure will be progressively removed once it is safe to do so.
Phase two, circa 1:20 pm
- Wareham Road will be closed from Henbury View Road to the Windgreen roundabout.
There will be no access onto this section of the highway from any of the side-roads during the closure.
Note that at this stage the Windgreen roundabout remains operational for traffic travelling along Higher Blandford Road and Wimborne Road.
Phase three, circa 1:35 pm
- 'Road Closed Ahead' warnings will be put in place on Higher Blandford Road at the junction with Springdale Road.
For clarity, this is an early warning to drivers heading towards Windgreen that there will be delays ahead, giving them the opportunity to take an alternative route.
- The Higher Blandford Road (towards Blandford) and Wimborne Road will be closed to all traffic at the Windgreen roundabout whilst a two-way diversion system is created on the East side of the roundabout.
- The Higher Blandford Road from Windgreen roundabout to the junction with Badbury View Road, together with Badbury View Road itself, will be closed to all traffic.
When and if it is safe to do so, traffic arriving at the Windgreen roundabout on the Higher Blandford Road from Broadstone will be permitted to travel onto the Wimborne Road and vice versa.
When the procession has passed and only when the roads are clear of pedestrians, the roads will be reopened.
The overall potential disruption will be less than 90 minutes and please be assured that we will do everything we can to mitigate any negative impact this may cause.